If you have tomatoes, vinegar and eggs at home, you are all set to make the best ever Filipino fish dish that will make your whole family happy.
Try making it for dinner and watch as your family can't help but compliment your cooking. Enjoy Cooking!
Escabeche, the sweet and sour version of the Western World, introduced by the Spanish to the Philippines during the 1500′s. It is a typical Mediterranean cuisine and which made out of poached or fried fish then marinated in an acidic mixture like vinegar or any citric juice before serving.
Having said that this recipe is not exclusive to fish but chicken, and pork can be used but in Philippines fish is the only choice.
2 large whole fish
1 red capsicum, julienned
1 large carrot, julienned
2/3 cup vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup tomato puree
1 1/2 cup water
1 large red onion, sliced
1 thumb sized ginger, julienned
6 cloves garlic, minced
freshly ground black pepper
- Season fish with salt and pepper inside and out. Set aside for at least 15 minutes.
- In a pan, add oil and when the temperature is right for deep frying, place the fish. Deep fry for 10-15 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish.
- In a separate pan, add oil then sauté garlic, onion, and ginger.
- Add capsicum and carrots, and stir-fry for a minute
- Combine together vinegar, cornstarch, water, sugar, salt, freshly ground black pepper and tomato puree then pour into the pan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Place the deep fried fish in a fish plate, and pour sauce on top then garnish with chopped parsley.
2. Sarciadong Isda (Fried Fish with Sauce) Recipe
This Filipino fish recipe is composed of pan-fried fish simmered in stewed tomato sauce. You can use leftover fried fish from the night before and create something new.
Carrots and bell peppers add a sweet flavor to this dish, also giving it a more vibrant pop of color. Some even add pineapple chunks or top it with beaten egg.
I love everything with tomatoes and this dish is one of my favorite Filipino food.
1 piece fish, cleaned and scaled
3 teaspoons flour
1 cup oil, for frying
1 red onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, julienned
1 tablespoon ginger, julienned
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 200 gram pack sweet tomato sauce
1/2 tablespoons fish sauce (patis)
salt, to taste
leeks, for garnish (optional)
- Dredge fish in flour and set aside.
- Preheat vegetable oil in a medium-sized pan and fry fish until cooked through and crispy.
- Saute onions, garlic, ginger, carrots, and bell pepper.
- Add tomato sauce. Season with fish sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Serve by pouring sauce on a plate and placing fish on top. Garnish with leeks, if desired.
- Simple and easy. Enjoy your meal!
#fishdishes #filipinofood #asianfood #escabeche #sarciado