Beef and Baby Corn Stir-fry made with succulent beef slices, crisp veggies, and tender young corn in a sweet and savory sauce. With simple ingredients and ready in a minute, it’s flavorful dish perfect for busy weeknights. This is a wonderful Asian stir-fry perfect for busy weeknights or as a quick meal when you want.
With succulent beef slices, crisp veggies, tender young corn, and sweet and savory sauce.
1 pound beef sirloin, thinly sliced and cut into 1-inch strips
6 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup oyster sauce
2 tablespoons Chinese cooking wine
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and sliced into thin strips
12 snow peas, ends trimmed
1/2 cup water chestnuts, drained
8 baby corn, cut into 1-inch lengths
1 medium onion, peeled and sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
This sesame beef stir-fry is packed with delicious baby corn and thin, tasty slices of lean beef. As well as being simple, quick to make and delicious, the kids will love to help you with the preparation.
- In a small bowl, combine beef, 4 tablespoons of the soy sauce, and cornstarch.
- In another bowl, combine water, oyster sauce, the remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine, sugar, and pepper. Stir until well blended and set aside.
- In a separate large pan over high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- Add bell peppers and cook for about 30 seconds. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Add snow peas and cook for about 10 seconds. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Add water chestnuts and baby corn and cook for about 30 seconds or until heated through. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- With hands, gently squeeze meat to extract marinade. Add excess liquid into the bowl of oyster sauce mixture (this is important as the cornstarch from the marinade will thicken the stir-fry sauce).
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add beef in a single layer and sear for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn to sear another side for another 2 to 3 minutes. Do not overcrowd the pan, cook beef in batches if needed. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Wipe down the Wok as needed. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until limp.
- Stir oyster sauce mixture to disperse cornstarch and add to wok. - Bring to a simmer until it begins to thicken.
- Add beef, baby corn, water chestnuts, bell peppers, and snow peas. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 to 3 minutes or until meat and vegetables are heated through.
- If you can't get fresh baby corn, you can use tinned baby corn in its place.
- You can swap the baby corn with sliced carrots, celery, capsicum or other vegetables if you prefer.
- For a different take, try serving with egg noodles instead of rice.
- This is also delicious to eat the next day, so make a double-batch for school or a work lunch!
#beefandbabycorn #stirfry #recipe