It's raining, its pouring and I can hear the laughter of the kids playing in the rain outside my window. Hmmmn I can hear also my stomach growling looking forward to sipping on hot soup or congee.
I remember now that we had a beef tripe stock in the refrigerator fit for cooking a "Goto" a perfect warm meal for a cold weather. It also good if we have a pig intestines combine with the beef tripe, this is what the Filipino goto likes all about.
Goto is a type of rice porridge mix with intestine parts of either cow or pig. This is one very famous energy booster blend of beef tripe and pig intestine a not so common ingredients in a Filipino food. But what we have available right now is beef tripe so let's start cooking a goto beef now!
- For the Beef Tripe
500 grams beef tripe
3 pieces beef bones
Rock salt (for cleaning)
9 cups water
2 tablespoon salt
1 small onion, quartered
5 clove garlic, crushed
1 thumb-sized ginger, cut and pounded
1/2 teaspoon peppercorn
- For the Goto
1 tablespoon oil
1 medium onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
2-inch size ginger
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 cup glutinous rice
8 cups broth (from cooking the tripe)
Salt and pepper to taste
- For Toppings
Fried garlic bits
Green onions, chopped
5 boiled eggs
You can also ask for assistance with your kids willing to learn how to cook their favorite congee. But since they are still outside having fun in the rain it's better that you will proceed cooking after the preparation is done.
- Put the beef tripe on the bowl with cold water and refrigerate it for about 30 minutes and drain well.
- Apply and scrub the salt on the beef tripe and rinse it with cold, running water if possible repeat it thrice until it cleans.
- Pour 1 liter of water and 2 tablespoons of salt and put it in a large pot over medium heat, until it boiled.
- Add the beef tripe and cook for about 15 minutes, remove the tripe and drain well.
- On the same pot add the beef tripe together with the beef bones. Pour the 9 cups of water, let them boil over medium heat removing the fatty thing that floats occasionally.
- When the broth is clear add the onion, garlic, ginger, and peppercorns.
- Lower the heat and leave it for 3 to 4 hours and add water to maintain the 9 cups measurements.
- Remove the beef tripe and strain the broth, set the broth aside and let the beef tripe cool.
- When the beef tripe is cool enough sliced into 2-inch strips.
- Use another pot, heat oil over medium heat and saute the garlic, onions, and ginger.
- Add the sliced beef tripe and let them cook for five minutes, keep stirring occasionally.
- Add the fish sauce and let them boil for 3 minutes.
- Add the beef tripe broth and keep it boiling, don't forget to remove the fatty thing on top.
- Slow down the heat and let them cook for 20 minutes.
- Put the Goto into serving bowl and top with chopped onions and fried garlic bits.
- Serve it hot with lemon on the side.
Don't forget the boiled egg while serving on a bowl with the chopped onions and fried garlic on the top.
Everyone surely loves this comfort food in a cold weather. Enjoy eating!
#goto #famousfilipinocongee #filipinofood #asianfood #momsathome