This classic chicken gets its rich and soothing flavor from coconut milk and vegetables. While warming and thoroughly comforting, this dish come together incredibly quickly. Of course, it's even better the next day after the flavors have had time to rest and fully meld within the thick and satisfying, savory-sweet broth.
1. COCONUT GINGER CHICKEN AND VEGETABLES
Chicken and vegetables in the slow cooker are pretty predictable, I admit, but thanks to a fragrant spice blend and a good dose of aromatics such as ginger root and garlic, this dish sings with flavor. Rich in coconut milk and served over steamed rice; comfort food at its finest.
4 cloves garlic, peeled
2-inch cube of ginger (about 30 grams), roughly chopped
1 small sweet onion, peeled, quartered
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 Tablespoons butter
3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into four
2 cans coconut milk, not shaken
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 can of baby corn cobs
1 cup peas or frozen vegetables of your choice
For the spice blend
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
- Combine ingredients from the spice blend together and set aside.
In a mini food processor, combine garlic, ginger and onion and pulse until it forms a paste.
- Add pureed aromatics and stir well. Cook for a few minutes, then adds spice blend. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Put aromatic to one side of the pot and add the chicken pieces.
- Cook chicken slightly on all sides, using a sturdy wooden spoon. It should get thoroughly coated with the spice mixture.
- Open the cans of coconut milk and remove the cream from the top using a soup spoon. You should have about 1 cup. Pour the coconut milk over the chicken and with both cans, it should just barely cover the chicken.
- Drain the corn cobs and chop in half. Add to the slow-cooker.
- Place the slow cooker in the base and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Whisk cornstarch with coconut cream until smooth and add to the chicken. Stir well. Add frozen peas or other vegetables of your choice.
- Cook for another half an hour or until the chicken cooked. Enjoy
2. GINATAANG MANOK
Ginataang Manok is a chicken stewed in coconut milk together with green papaya and vegetable greens like chili leaves and/or moringa leaves. Basically, the process is like cooking tinola but instead of chicken stock or water coconut milk is used. You will also notice it has lots of ginger as that gives the zing as well as the fresh taste that cuts well with the creamy coconut milk.
1 kg chicken legs and thighs,
1 medium-sized green papaya, sliced
2 cups coconut milk
1 cup coconut cream
1 cup chicken stock
1 pack bok choy
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, sliced
1 thumb sized ginger, julienned
2 pcs green finger chilies
freshly ground black pepper
fish sauce or sea salt
- In a pot add oil then sauté garlic, onion, and ginger.
- Add the chicken and brown on all sides.
- Add the chicken stock and 1 cup of coconut milk then bring it to a boil. Simmer on low heat for 25 minutes.
- Add the remaining cup of coconut milk, long green chili and green papaya then simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Add the bok choy and coconut cream then simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Season with fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper then serve.
#veggies #chicken #coconutmilk #filipinofood #asianfood