Are you craving for a creamy and spicy dish that suits your mouthwatering tongue right now! Bicol express is the perfect answer to your craving for some enticing spicy dish! Try this extra hot spicy kind of dish made from the Philippines.
Bicol express is one of those Filipino dishes that you don't want to eat every day. But for obvious reasons, this is a perfect dish for those who are addictive to spicy food. It has a creamy texture that suits around your mouth and melts the chilis around your tongue.
Let me tell you a brief story behind this spicy recipe. Bicol express is popularized in the district of Malate, Manila but made in traditional Bicolano style. Bicol express was named after the passenger train service route from Manila to the Bicol region, a region in the Philippines absolutely famous for its authentic spicy cuisine.
Well, don't be confused about the origin of the story because of the Bicolanos continue to claim as a true regional heritage dish. What's important right now is that we have a creamy spicy dish were about to cook.
Learn how to make a Bicol express recipe that will surely make you feel hot!
500 grams pork shoulder, sliced into cubes
3 pieces green long pepper, sliced into thin pieces
10 pieces birds eye chili (siling labuyo), sliced into thin pieces
6 pieces of long beans (sitaw), cut into 2-inch
1 medium onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cups coconut milk
1 cup coconut cream
1 tablespoon shrimp paste (bagoong alamang)
3 tablespoon cooking oil
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups water
Salt to taste
- Put it in a wide cooking pot over medium heat
- Heat the oil and saute garlic and onions
- Add the pork and black ground pepper, continue cooking until the meat turns light brown.
- Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover and continue cooking until meat is tender and water reduced.
- Add 2 cups of coconut milk and bring to a simmer.
- Add 1 cup coconut cream and continue to cook for about 20 minutes or until meat is tender and the sauce begins to render fats.
- Add the long beans or sitaw, then cover.
- Add the long green pepper, chili pepper, and shrimp paste to the meat and stir to mix.
- Check and adjust the taste with salt
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve hot with a cup of rice.
You can add more vegetables to balance the meat and spiciness of this recipe. You can try the squash vegetable to blend the taste of creaminess and sweetness of the coconut milk and cream.
Prepare a cold water or a refreshing cola when you started eating, I'm sure you are very thirsty once you eat this spicy food. Prepare to have an extra bowl of rice as you cannot resist the taste and ask for more. It's absolutely a flavourful dish and it is very easy to follow.
#asianfood #filipinofood #bicolexpress #creamyspicydish